Volume 1 starts from the preparatory part, including some commonly used expressions and basic information on characters and phonetics, which should be learned carefully before going on to the later sections. There are 35 lessons in Volume 1 and 27 in Volume 2. Each has a vocabulary and a list of proper names as appendixes. Besides, an index of grammar is provided in Volume 2. Each lesson consists of the following parts:
1. Illustrations of the grammar points;
2. Text, including a short passage and a dialogue or dialogues;
3. Supplementary words and expressions, which are commonly used and closely related to the text. They are provided below the list of new words in each lesson in Volume 1, while example sentences and simple illustrations of the usages of the key words are supplied in each lesson in Volume 2;
4. Notes, which explain the cultural phenomenon introduced in the text and give necessary background information.
5. Grammar. About three grammatical points are taught in each lesson and explanations are translated into English.
6. 1,000 words and expressions including proper names are listed in the vocabulary in Volume 1 and 800 in Volume 2.
III. Suggestions on how to use the books
Each of the two volumes may be completed in one semester of 20 weeks with 8 to 10 class periods per week. 5 to 6 class periods may be devoted to one lesson and flexibility should be allowed depending on the specific needs of students. More class periods could be given to the difficult lessons, while less to the easy ones.
Volume 1 was compiled by Rong Jihua with Wang Rui as the translator. The first draft of Volume 2 was done by Xu Guimei, and Chen Manhua completed the translation of the part of grammar and the revision of part of the volume. Cen Yuzhen and Wu Huihua made some suggestions on revising the first drafts of the two volumes. Their valuable contributions to the books are appreciated.
Suggestions and criticisms from the readers of the books are welcome.